Prior to founding AST Technology Labs, Inc. in 1995, James Bress was a Bellcore Member of the Technical Staff (MTS) and senior engineer which developed Caller-ID product and network requirements. Mr. Bress authored Bellcore SR-2476, Customer Premises Equipment Compatibility Considerations for the Voiceband Data Transmission Interface, and SR-3004, Testing Guidelines for Analog Type 1, 2, and 3 products.
AST Technology Labs is a contributing member of the Bluetooth® SIG eAudio task force developing standards for communication devices.
AST contributed to the development of the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) (formerly known as CEA) standard for ANSI-CTA-2051 Personal Sound Amplification Products (PSAP).
AST Technology Labs provides leadership to, and contributes to the standards developed by, the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) TR41 committee, Performance and Accessibility for Communications Products.
- TR41, Engineering Committee Performance and Accessibility for Communications Products.
- James Bress (AST): Chair 2015 to present
- TR41.3, Engineering Sub-committee for Communication Products
- Don McKinnon (AST): Chair 2015 to present
- James Bress (AST): Chair 2000 to 2007, 2010 to 2015, Vice-Chair 2007 to 2010
- Standards Development (Chair, Editor, Major Contributor)
- VoIP / Digital Interfaces:
- TIA-920.110 (VoIP/Digital Wideband/Narrowband Acoustics Handset)
- TIA-920.120 (VoIP/Digital Wideband/Narrowband Acoustics Speakerphone)
- TIA-920.130 (VoIP/Digital Wideband/Narrowband Acoustics Headset)
- Other/All Devices:
- TIA-912 (Voice Gateway Transmission)
- TIA-1063 (Terminal Adaptor Analog Port)
- TIA-1083 (Hearing Aid Compatibility Performance)
- TIA-4953 (Amplified Telephone Performance)
- TIA-4965 (Volume Control Analog and Digital)
- TIA-571 (Environmental Performance)
- TIA-631 (Radio Frequency immunity)
- TIA-470.310 (Cordless Range Measurement Procedures)
- TIA-470.320 (Cordless Telephone Features & Operations)
- Analog Interfaces:
- TIA-470.110/120/130 (Analog Narrowband Acoustics Handset/ Headset/ Speakerphones)
- TIA-470.112/122/132 (Analog Wideband Acoustics Handset/ Headset/ Speakerphones)
- TIA-470.210 (Analog Telephone Resistance & Impedance)
- TIA-470.220 (Analog Telephone Alerter)
- TIA-470.230 (Analog Telphone Network Signaling)
- TIA-470.330 (Telephone Digital Answering Device)
- TIA-777 (Caller-ID Performance)
- TIA-855 (Stutter Dial Tone Detection)